[CentOS] /etc/sysconfig/autofsck

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Thu Sep 10 17:33:27 UTC 2009

Agile Aspect wrote:

> Is this necessary for ext3 filesystems?

Can't hurt, though I don't do this myself, most of my
systems have pretty stable storage, been a while since
I used a controller/system that caused problems that
would make me want to fsck.

> Is this a safe thing to do for a ext3 filesystems?

fsck'ing a ext3 file system is perfectly safe, if it
is mounted uncleanly the system even prompts you to do
a full fsck during bootup(if you don't hit a key it
continues with just the journal check)

For my SAN-based file systems I do explicitly fsck them
each time they are mounted in my mount scripts because
some systems rely on SAN snapshots, and sometimes those
snapshots are taken when the file system can be in an
inconsistent state. If the file system is clean the
fsck aborts and the file system is mounted.

nate