[CentOS] Fork: Resource Temporarily Unavailable

Gustavo Pastorino

gustavopastorino at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 18:10:44 UTC 2009

Hey all,

I installed a while ago two CentOS 5.3 servers. One of them was
running Samba and another OpenLDAP. I configured Samba to act as a PDC
on the network and everything was working fine, I was already on
policies rules and desktop migrations.

One day, another analyst changed our subnet, and the domain was
implemented only on our sector for start. After the subnet change, we
had a comunication problem and we figured out it that we needed to
configure samba as WINS server too. After a while, he changed Proxy
requests for WINS to samba, only as a test (some of the requests).
Before we could configure samba, BUM, the samba server crashed and
after some crash/restart it showed this on boot time (of course when
sshd was starting)

* /etc/rc3.d/S55sshd: fork: Resource Temporarily Unavailable

After that, ALL CentOS installations have this problem after yum update:

* /etc/init.d/functions: fork: Resource Temporarily Unavailable

I have only one clue: EPEL repository. I installed and configured
yum-priorities of course.

I´m on my last test installation and I am sending now this e-mail
because if it crashes and i have no resolution, they are going to ask
me for another distro install, and I like CentOS too much to do that.

Just one last thing: its a 6000-7000 user environment and we're on a
hurry, so I can't do long time testing or stay with something that may
one day crash.

Thanks,

Gustavo Pastorino