[CentOS] Inquiry:Migration from Linux 7.2 to CentOS 5

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sat Sep 12 08:17:14 UTC 2009

hadi motamedi wrote:
> Dear All
> Can you please do me favor and let me know what are the highlights of
> major benefits of CentOS Release 5 (Final) over the RedHat Linux 7.2
> (Enigma) as we are going to migrate to it

Benefits are in the eye of the beholder.

Red Hat Linux 7.x is about 8 years old, and has been a discontinued and
unsupported product for about 6 years, which means no security updates
or anything.  It also won't have any support for any new hardware since
it was disccontinued circa 2003.

CentOS 5, based on RHEL 5, is a current actively supported product.
Its built with a much newer kernel, newer versions of all the major
components (GCC, glibc, apache, php, python, mysql, postgres, X windows,
gnomee, kde, lvm, md-raid, etc etc etc.