[CentOS] CentOS vs Fedora?

Ron Blizzard rb4centos at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 21:42:01 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 4:59 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately you often want a different tradeoff between stability and
> features in the base OS and the applications you use and the way
> distributions are packaged makes it difficult to get both right all the
> time.  In the first year or maybe even two after a CentOS version is
> released, the applications aren't two badly out of date.  After that,
> you are happy that your system isn't crashing but you'll start to miss
> the features that are included in fresher releases and probably start to
> run into bugs that won't ever have the fixes backed into the old
> application versions.  Sometimes you can find newer versions on 3rd
> party sites like rpmforge, sometimes you can build your own (both with
> some risk) and sometimes you just put up with what's there knowing you
> are years behind current development.

The only program that I want to run on CentOS that I can't (or haven't
figured out how to do it yet) is Celtx. Everything else that I've
thrown at it at has worked out of the box. Of course, that might have
something to do with the fact that I have the RPMForge repository set
up.

--
RonB -- Using CentOS 5.3