[CentOS] yum issue with extras repo? OMG OMFG OMFFG!!!

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Sat Sep 12 22:26:30 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 09 September 2009 01:02:53 pm Dave Stevens wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> As you can see below I am having a problem checking for updates. This
> happens repeatedly. I have to kill the process then rerun. I have
> tried "yum clean all" but no joy - the process hangs again on "extras"
> - see second listing below. Suggestions?
>
> Dave

well, I didn't expect to stir up such a lot of contention, that's for sure.

I tried Akemi's suggestions to no avail. The suggestions others have made are
worth pursuing too but I haven't got to them yet.

Yes, I do have a good reason for including third party repos. One of my sites
uses a web GIS application hosted on the server and it needs the pgdg83 repo.
I use Virtualmin to manage the server and so their repos are in there too.

In actual practice this issue is going to get solved in another way. I've just
been given enough budget to replace the server so I plan to go to Centos 5.4
and to provide a virtual machine for that one app on its own. Then it will be
up to the developer to manage repos as needed.

Some of the remarks have referenced corrupt metadata. I thought of this, ran
yum clean all, no joy. I assume that if there were a problem with a core
Centos repo I'd hear about it on the list so I have not worried about that.

Thanks to all who answered.

Dave

> [root at cserver ~]# yum check-update
> Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, priorities

snip!