[CentOS] qla2xxx 0000:05:0d.0: Mailbox command timeout occured. Scheduling ISP abort.

McCulloch, Alan

alan.mcculloch at agresearch.co.nz
Mon Sep 14 04:16:38 UTC 2009

hi All,

Re below - thanks for the replies to the fsck question.

I have run fsck -r /data and this eventually completed with several changes made.

Now I am getting the following error from the qla2xxx driver on boot

.
.
.
qla2xxx 0000:05:0d.0: Mailbox command timeout occured. Scheduling ISP abort.
qla2xxx 0000:05:0d.0: Mailbox command timeout occured. Scheduling ISP abort.
.
etc
.

It looks like some administration of the HSV controlled SAN device layer itself is required - we
are now not even getting the boot process as far as the filesystem layer.

(Anybody know exactly what that message indicates - e.g. whether a hardware fault or
HSV SAN config issue ?)

googling this , somebody suggested  a media scan from my storage array firmware,
then backing up the array and reinitializing logical disks and started fresh....however
if anybody has some more specific info than that, that would be great. (I don't
have administrative access to these devices in any case)

Looks like may have fsck'd on top of a wobbly device layer which probably does not
bode well :-(

(I will summarise all of this to the list at some stage )

Cheers

AMcC

(Original post : )

>A fault on our SAN dropped us down to a read-only filesystem and after reboot,
>we have an "Unexpected Inconsistency" and I am being instructed by the boot to run fsck manually
>without -a or -p  (this was after I think processing around 15% of the filesystem)

>The specific message is  "inode 27344909 has illegal blocks"

>I recall running fsck some years ago on smaller and simpler systems - am broadly
>familiar with what it is but have no expertise in using it to repair a filesystem.

>Would be grateful for advice on whats the quickest / usual way to get us back up from
>this. We do have a good backup for restoring unrecoverable files - i.e. I assume I am going
>to end up  asking fsck to repair the filesystem itself and then clean up any mess that
>results.

>This is fsck 1.39 , Linux version 2.6.18-92.1.18.el5 , Red Hat 4.1.2-42

>thanks for any tips.

>Cheers

>AMcC
>Bioinformatics Software Engineer