[CentOS] Where to download rpm packages for centos?

Peng Yu pengyu.ut at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 02:44:56 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 9:38 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> Peng Yu wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have the following operating systems. I am wondering where I can
>> download rpm packages for it?
>>
>> $ cat /etc/redhat-release
>> CentOS release 5 (Final)
>>

> first thing you should do is `yum upgrade` as 5.3 is out now,a nd 5.4 is
> out soon, these consist of upgrades to nearly every ssytem component for
> security and bug fixes.
>
> secondly, rather than 'downloading rpm packages', you should instead
> 'configure yum repositories' so yum can manage the dependencies of any
> packages you wish to install.
>
> see http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories for some
> popular ones.

The problem is that I don't have the root account. Our system
administrator doesn't update the system because of the excuse of
keeping the machine stable. Therefore, I have to install packages in
my home directory. As far as I know, I can not run yum without root
permission. But at least I should be able to run rpm without root
permission. That is why I asked the original question.

Regards,
Peng