[CentOS] Where to download rpm packages for centos?

Alan Sparks asparks at doublesparks.net
Thu Sep 17 03:26:49 UTC 2009

Peng Yu wrote:
> If you could help me on finding packages for downloading and
> installing them in my home directory, that would be very helpful.
>
> I also find the following link on how to run rpm in my home directory.
> Does it work for my problem?
>
> http://www.techonthenet.com/linux/build_rpm.php

Well, that's for building them, not installing them.  Probably not much
help for you, as far as updating the system, although if you were to
hack the spec files, you could make RPMs that would install locally.

In some cases, you can download RPMs from CentOS or RHEL compatible
archives (like from the mirrors listed on centos.org, or from EPEL
(google that), and try the --relocate option on the RPM install.  Note,
however, that not all RPMs will relocate well.

I assume you're just trying to get newer versions of some applications
you use.  Obviously, you can't update the versions of libraries and
system executables without root access, so nothing good can be done with
respect to securing the system or generally improving life without doing
it "right."

In your case, probably the better way to work around your bad situation
is forget RPM entirely, and download tarballs for whatever you really
need to install locally.  Learn how to do the configure/make/make
install dance, and set the --prefix= option on the configure to your
home directory.
-Alan