[CentOS] No login with kernel 2.6.18-164.el5

Olaf Mueller daily-planet at istari.de
Thu Sep 17 17:01:25 UTC 2009

Rob Kampen wrote:

> Olaf Mueller wrote:
>> I think this is a testing kernel for RHEL 5.5 (not 5.4!),  but it
>> seems to me the best choice as a kernel under CentOS 5.3 at the
>> moment if you are running an nfs server. And only the nfs server
>> needs this kernel to work, the clients can stay with the current
>> kernel 2.6.18-164.el5.
> Am I missing something here?
> We use and love CentOS for its stability and the fact(?) that the
> upstream provider does extensive QA(?)
> Now we have a major regression in the 5.4 kernel and the proposal in
> the bug fix is wait until 5.5 for the patch?
> or do it yourself - something I do not look forward to doing.
> Is someone dropping the ball or am I over-reacting?
This is a very unlucky situation, yes. But in my opinion, it is not a
CentOS problem. We are only suffering under the missing of a nfs
working kernel from RedHat.
CentOS is based on RHEL that itself has no better kernel at the moment.
But I must confess that I am astounded about this all.

regards
Olaf