[CentOS] XEN and PCIPassthru

Lucian @ lastdot.org lucian at lastdot.org
Fri Sep 18 13:48:51 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 11:51 AM, janezkosmr <janezkosmr at volja.net> wrote:

> I have an old windows NT machine, that I would like to virtualize under
> CentOS and xen. The problem is, that the machine has an old PCI card that
> is used for some sensor control. I tried to google the topic, but there
> isn't any useful tutorial, how to do this under CentOS. What I found out
> is, that I need a machine that supports the Intel VT-d technology and at
> least XEN 3.3. Does someone on this list have any real world experience
> with this?

I have several machines (intel vt) running Xen on Centos x86_64. I use
the xen packages from http://www.gitco.de/linux/ and absolutely  no
problem so far, but I haven't played with PCIPasstru. I've only used
para-v so far with images from stacklet.com. It is not hard to setup.
It may be easier for you to just follow the tutorials on wiki.centos.org:
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Xen/InstallingCentOSDomU
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Xen/InstallingHVMDomU
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Xen/MoveNative2DomU

Lucian