[CentOS] Thermal information

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Fri Sep 18 18:47:17 UTC 2009

Sergio Belkin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd want know get thermal information on Centos 5.3 but get nohting.
> If I run acpitool -e, it outputs:
>
>  acpitool -e
>   Kernel version : 2.6.18-92.1.18.20060707   -    ACPI version :
> 20060707

That doesn't look like a CentOS kernel.

>   -----------------------------------------------------------
>   Battery status : <error reading info>
>
>  Function Do_AC_Info_Sys: could not read directory
> /sys/class/power_supply/
>  Make sure your kernel has ACPI AC adapter support enabled.
>   Fan            : <not available>
>
>   CPU type               : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU            5110  @
> 1.60GHz
>   CPU speed              : 1595.980 MHz
>   Cache size             : 4096 KB
>   Bogomips               : 3193.92
>   Bogomips               : 3191.86
>
>   # of CPU's found       : 2
>
>   Processor ID           : 0
>   Bus mastering control  : no
>   Power management       : no
>   Throttling control     : yes
>   Limit interface        : yes
>   Active C-state         : C1
>   C-states (incl. C0)    : 1
>   T-state count          : 8
>   Active T-state         : T0
>

>   Processor ID           : 1
>   Bus mastering control  : no
>   Power management       : no
>   Throttling control     : yes
>   Limit interface        : yes
>   Active C-state         : C1
>   C-states (incl. C0)    : 1
>   T-state count          : 8
>   Active T-state         : T0
>

>   Thermal info   : <not available>
>
>    Device       Sleep state     Status
>   ---------------------------------------
>   1. PCI0          5            disabled
>

> And:
>
> grep THERMAL /boot/config-2.6.18-92.el5
> CONFIG_X86_MCE_P4THERMAL=y
> CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=y
>

> Am I doing something wrong?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Not sure what acpi thermal info might be returned by your system (try
looking in /proc/acpi/thermal_zone), but as it's an Intel Core based
processor, coretemp should return basic CPU core temperatures.

You can install the coretemp module from elrepo.org (kmod-coretemp)
which should also pull in an updated lm_sensors as a dependency from the
same repository. BTW, it will only work with kernels that are kABI
compliant with the upstream EL5 kernel (i.e, the CentOS 5 kernel) - no
guarantees it will work if you're running a custom kernel, you'd need to
recompile the package against your custom kernel.