[CentOS] installing 5.3 with 512M ram really slow

Ron Blizzard rb4centos at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 20:47:22 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 7:18 AM, Jerry Geis <geisj at pagestation.com> wrote:

> Does 5.3 have minimum installation RAM requirements? I had not noticed.
> Does the same apply for running?
> 5.2 did not seem to have any issues running in 512M that I recall.

I've installed CentOS 5.3 on a Pentium III (500 mhz) with 384 Meg of
RAM. I usually install over the Internet, so I assumed the
installation was slow because of the mirror I was using. But I've
noticed that CentOS (and Red Hat) are generally on the slower side of
Linux installations anyhow. I've never had it come to a near stop,
however.

Just realized... my laptop uses 512 Megs of RAM and it installed about
as fast as my Desktop with 1 Gig (the laptop is a 1.4 Ghz Pentium M,
the desktop is a 2.8 Ghz Pentium 4) so I'm not sure what was happening
in your case.

--
RonB -- Using CentOS 5.3