[CentOS] installonlypkgs vs. exclude in yum.conf

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 14:01:06 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 05:56, Michael Nausch <michael at nausch.org> wrote:
> If I use installonlypkgs, what happend exactly?

installonlypkgs means new versions of those packages will be installed
instead of upgraded, meaning the old version will be kept during
upgrades. This is what you usually want with kernel packages since you
may want to boot with the old kernel in case there is a problem with
the new one, so you want to keep it around for a while after
installing the new one.

> What's the difference betwenn update and installonly?

I think you mean the difference between "exclude" and
"installonlypkgs". They are completely unrelated and for two distinct
features. "exclude" you use for packages you don't want yum to install
or upgrade, "installonlypkgs" you use when you want to keep old
versions of packages around whenever yum installs newer versions of
them.

HTH,
Filipe