[CentOS] SATA controler req

Drew drew.kay at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 21:28:57 UTC 2009

> I'm looking for a recomendation for a SATA controlers.  In the range of 4-8
> ports, either PCI or PCIe (for desktop use) and/or PCI-X, PCIe (for server
> use).  I'd especially like it if the Linux driver was already in CentOS or
> easily added.  Everytime I find something interesting, a google search shows up
> either the drivers is for 2.6.30 (ie, not CentOS), someone tried it and it was
> unstable, or it has a proprietary driver.

Linux ATA has a good compatibility list if you're interested:
http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html#sii311x

SiL 3124/3114 based units come highly recommended though I've never
used them myself. That said, the SiL 3124 based boards from Addonics
are on my firm's short list for a possible mass storage project.

I personally like the Promise TX4 as I've never had any driver issues
with >=2.6.18 kernels. The units have no BIOS so they just plug in and
work. Only downside is they are only available in PCI.

--
Drew

--Marie Curie