[CentOS] CentOS for non-tech user

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 24 16:51:10 UTC 2009

On Thursday 24 September 2009 17:29:18 cornel panceac wrote:
> > Yes - and for those suggesting ubuntu as better for a non-technical user
> > I think the real question is whether the user will do any of their own
> > changes (like adding new programs) and updates.  If they do, ubuntu is
> > probably a good choice.  If they will ask you to do it for them, then it
> > would be the system that you are most comfortable with maintaining.
>
> +1

Exactly.  Ubuntu would be totally unfamiliar to me, and the idea of being
called in when she is 'up a tree' because something needs fixing doesn't bear
thinking about.  As long as she is with an rpm distro I can cope.  If she is
with Mandriva, Fedora or CentOS they are familiar.  The main problem with the
first two is the 6-month cycle.

> maybe the distro is not that important, and more interesting is the answer
> to the question "what is the typical user doing with it's computer?"
>
> in this regard, i'd start at mauriat miranda's fedora checklist, and add to
> it depending on user's needs.
>
> (
> actually, when fc6 ended it's life, i wanted to switch one friend's
>  notebook to centos 5. unfortunately, the (new,hp) printer didn't worked,
>  after it was bought because the lexmark mfp didn't worked, and after it
>  worked fine on fc6. so the notebook ended in fedora 9.
> )

Now that has set me thinking.  She has a Brother mfp.  It works under
Mandriva, so I just took it for granted that it would work in CentOS, but that
may not be so.  Hmm.  Some research needed.

Anne