[CentOS] CentOS for non-tech user

Curt Mills hacker at fluke.com
Thu Sep 24 19:03:04 UTC 2009

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009, Anne Wilson wrote:

> On Thursday 24 September 2009 17:50:37 Ron Loftin wrote:
>> My image of the "low-tech" user is the one who surfs the Web, reads and
>> writes e-mail, and does the odd letter or maybe even a spreadsheet in
>> some office tool, along with maybe some simple games.  My experience
>> with this category of user is that when they stumble across something
>> unfamiliar or want some additional function, they pick up the phone and
>> call me.
>>
> I recognise that description ;-D

It's the "Give a man a fish/Teach a man to fish" scenario.  I've
long-since stopped setting up machine for anyone in that category.
They _must_ figure things out for themselves (with hints from me
perhaps), then they've learned something valuable and are better
able to fend for themselves from that point on.

Preferably hand them a set of CD's or a DVD and say "have fun".
They have a sense of ownership and of accomplishment that way too.
Remember how proud you were when you could finally say "I don't
depend on MS anymore!"?

Family is the only category where I make (rare) exceptions, but my
kids are already showing me a thing or two these days about Linux so
I needn't worry about them anymore.

--
Curt Mills, WE7U                             hacker at fluke dot com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin

Please be advised that this email may contain confidential information.
 If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy or
re-transmit this email.  If you have received this email in error,
please notify us by email by replying to the sender and by telephone
(call us collect at +1 202-828-0850) and delete this message and any
attachments.  Thank you in advance for your cooperation and assistance.

In addition, Danaher and its subsidiaries disclaim that the content of
this email constitutes an offer to enter into, or the acceptance of,
any
contract or agreement or any amendment thereto; provided that the
foregoing disclaimer does not invalidate the binding effect of any
digital or other electronic reproduction of a manual signature that is
included in any attachment to this email.