[CentOS] CentOS for non-tech user

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 25 17:46:55 UTC 2009

On Friday 25 September 2009 17:02:24 Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 4:11 AM, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>
wrote:
> > I'm thinking of giving CentOS to a non-tech user for her new desktop.  He
> > needs are small.  She has been used to Mozilla for both mail and
> > browsing, so
>
> I believe if you install all the multimedia stuff that's described on
> the CentOS Wiki and K3b, and the other things previous responses have
> mentioned, OpenOffice.org, etc., she will be fine. The one thing I
> suggest you teach her is where her files are and how to backup to a CD
> or DVD.

In the past, under windows, I set up a one-click link to run a pre-defined
job.  Since I moved her to Mandriva I have shown her once how to copy files
with k3b, and she wasn't unhappy about that.

> I ran into an issue with K3b (which otherwise works perfectly
> for me), where it couldn't automatically erase a CD-RW (which I think
> it claims it can do), so I need to su - and as root "umount /dev/hdd"
> before it can erase a CD-RW.  Hopefully she won't need to do that, as
> running as root is probably not something she should be doing.

Not really a problem.  When we discussed RWs she said that CD-Rs are so cheap
now that it's not worth the bother of using RWs.

> have installed one package from the FC6 DVD (KDEEDU) on CentOS 5 (32
> bit) to get KStars and that worked fine. But, as Phil pointed out,
> maybe better to rebuild from the srpm.

Sounds encouraging, thanks.

Anne