[CentOS] External Backup Systems?

Eric Clark eric.clark at d-t-s-corp.com
Sun Sep 27 23:24:05 UTC 2009

NAS has actually gotten very effective

You may want to take a look at the D-Links and Buffalo NAS Servers for
having the backup info on.

This may be a very good alternative over the long run as well becuase the
NAS will be on 24/7 and draw alot less electricity than a full blown
server..

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=nas+storage+dual+bay&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=4947813462866442505&ei=FfO_Ss6BFdHj8AbEx8yuAQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=5#ps-sellers

You can also pick up similar devices on ebay and the likes of buy.com for
alot less.

The benefit is of course being able to use SATA II hard drives that you
already own, so you would cut down on cost there as well.

I dropped 2x1TB into one of these babies and actually have it rocking with 2
500GB partitions. *one for *(cough) movies and one of course for files.

One of the drives failed about 2 weeks ago, and I simply pulled it out, and
got a new one installed the same day, and it copied everything back over.

It has RAID and a few other technologies like being able to continue a
download after you turn your PC or server off (connected to internet of
course).

Then also comes the benefits of less electricity usage to pay for.  That
stuff aint cheap.   Its a very smart solution for a growing problem and the
best factor that I have found with it is that it is simple to setup, and
easier to back up to knowing that it is always online.