[CentOS] CentOS for non-tech user

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Tue Sep 29 00:34:33 UTC 2009

Matt wrote:
>>> I'm thinking of giving CentOS to a non-tech user for her new desktop.  He
>>> needs are small.  She has been used to Mozilla for both mail and browsing, so
>>> equivalents there are not a problem.  She needs grip and lame, for her mp3s -
>>> again no problem.
>>>
>> Desktop, non-techie - use Ubuntu instead.
>>
>> I'm a big CentOS fan, I joined even the Facebook group (lol), but its
>>

> Thats my thought as well.  Ubuntu desktop and CentOS for servers.
> Just wandering if anyone is using the 'Ubuntu Server Edition's'?  They
> seem appealing but CentOS is what I am used too on servers now.
> Thought about loading it up on a box to just try though.

Ubuntu for desktop is really a give and take. You get some stuff
conveniently done for you like Nvidia drivers (which, I believe is also
doable on Centos with a certain repo...cannot remember which) but you
may also have to handle random crap like Network Manager not setting
things up properly.

Centos as a desktop is good enough if you do not need the latest version
of Firefox or other stuff.