[CentOS] CentOS for non-tech user

Geoff Galitz geoff at galitz.org
Tue Sep 29 08:21:08 UTC 2009

> 1) Ubuntu really needs more frequent total updates (it is not a
> long-term stable release).  The Ubuntu system that was on the local
> library's server was unable to get updates (apt-get would fail -- I
> ended up manually downloading packages and installing by hand (using raw
> dpkg commands -- ala using raw rpm instead of yum).

Ubuntu has the LTS releases, which are long term stable releases. They are
supported for five years after release.

I run Ubuntu along with other Linux distros for various purposes and I've
never had an update problem with it.  Perhaps that system was pointing to a
flaky mirror?

Perhaps it is getting trendy to beat up on non-Centos distros here on the
Centos list?

Geoff Galitz
Blankenheim NRW, Germany
http://www.galitz.org/