[CentOS] Stupid Question (Linux antivirus)

Ron Blizzard rb4centos at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 19:14:28 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 8:37 AM, Drew <drew.kay at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm sorry but stay as far away from them as you can. AVG 7 was great,
> I used to recommend it all the time, but version 8 has become really
> bloated and chews through resources like no-ones business. I installed
> it on a dual-booted (XP/Debian) Laptop w/ 512M RAM and after upgrading
> from 7 to 8 my machine in XP began to lag badly.

That seems to be the pattern with anti-virus software. Starts out good
and bloats out. I remember when McAfee and Norton (or its IBM variant)
were good anti-virus applications. Then I went to AVG, used it from
six on up, and also got tired of its bloat in 8. When I rebuilt my
wife's XP computer I went with Avast! -- the jury is still out on
that.

--
RonB -- Using CentOS 5.3