[CentOS] Asterisk and VOIP was Re: CentOS for non-tech user

Ron Blizzard rb4centos at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 18:10:39 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 9:13 AM, Chan Chung Hang Christopher
> You can get asterisk packages from rpmforge on Centos...but on Ubuntu
> you do not have to add an extra repository to get asterisk.

What I meant was that the "pre-built" Asterisks (Trixbox, AsteriskNow,
Elastix and PBX in a Flash) are all based on CentOS. I've never tried
compiling it on my own -- I've only experimented with Asterisk.

> When you say go voip, do you mean use sip for the stations only or also
> for the trunks?

My experience (and the experience of those I know) is that SIP trunks
don't really work consistently. But, when I say I need to learn VOIP
I'm mostly talking about the station side. My goal is to learn enough
to build Asterisk boxes to replace key systems. I like the idea of
Asterisk because it can use standard trunks for critical lines and SIP
trunks for specialized purposes or overflow. (At least that's what I
*think* it can do.)

--
RonB -- Using CentOS 5.3