[CentOS] CentOS for non-tech user

Marcelo M. Garcia marcelo.maia.garcia at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 30 20:41:48 UTC 2009

Sorin Srbu wrote:
>>> HTH.
>> Hi Sorin
>>
>> You can "sudo bash" and you will have a root terminal. In it, you can
>> set the root password for root.
>
> Yupp, as I said, at the time I was testing Ubuntu, I was rather green and
> didn't know about those little tricks. Now is a another matter, but I still
> prefer CentOS. Besides, opening a terminal and typing in "su -" is way
> faster. Saves keystrokes.
Hi

The reason for Ubuntu in the laptop is simply because CentOS didn't work
  very well. I followed the wiki about XPS M1530[1] and everything
almost work. At the office one of the developers uses a Dell Precision
laptop with RHEL 5.3 (it came from Dell with RHEL) and works really
fine. So, I image that some laptops are more CentOS/RHEL-friendly than
others.

Now I'm used to use sudo. It is a great tool. I use it everywhere. And
everything I do appears in the logwatch.

Regards

mg.

[1] http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Dell/XPS_M1530