[CentOS] ftp issue in Centos 5.3

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Wed Sep 30 22:08:21 UTC 2009

> On 9/29/09, Dave Stevens <geek at uniserve.com> wrote:
>> I manage a small server that I back up weekly. I do this by making a
>> tarball of relevant files then transferring it over the local subnet
>> to my station (Fedora 11), whereupon I burn it to DVD. There is no
>> optical burner on the server. The tarball amounts to a bit under 5
>> gigs. Recently I've started getting an error telling me to try PASV or
>> PORT first. I use the gFTP client on my machine and as far as I know
>> there is no option in this program to use either option either locally
>> or remotely (on the server.)
>>
>> Any ideas on this one?
>
> I use gFTP to transfer small files to/from one of my web sites. Are
> you using a proxy? In the Options, for FTP, there is an "Ignore PASV
> address".  You may want to Google for this error and surf over to
> http://www.gftp.org/  Strange that you began getting these errors and
> I wonder if it has to do with your Fedora 11 box and not your server.
>    GL

yes, it apparently was a problem at my end. I removed and reinstalled
gFTP and things started to work again. The robustness (or lack
thereof) of the backup method will get solved in the not too distant
future since I have just ordered the new dream server and will be
rsyncing off-site more-or-less continuously.

Thanks for the tips.

Dave