[CentOS] CentOS 4 not recognizing SAS / AIC 9410?

Sat Sep 12 19:42:00 UTC 2009
Benjamin Smith <lists at benjamindsmith.com>

I'm trying to install CentOS 4 on a new Supermicro 1U system with an Adaptec
9410 SAS controller. I'm not interested in RAID or anything, just want to
install bare on the drive.

But while the installer "sees" the Adaptec controller well enough to load
"Adaptec 94xx" drivers, the installer it tells me that there are no drives
installed when I try to partition.

 I've checked out the drive using the adaptec BIOS utilities, tried formatting
it, etc and I see a message about "1 JBOD DRIVE(S)" during the BIOS init
before CentOS boots up. When I call SuperMicro, they tell me that I need to
get the floppy disk image

> ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/driver/SAS/Adaptec/Linux/11699/

but I don't have a floppy disk in the machine, and anaconda does install the
94xx driver, which leads me to believe that there's something else going on.

Any idea where I should go from here? I get the feeling that I'm just missing
something basic....

believed to be clean.