[CentOS] Removing xorg stuff

Tue Sep 29 21:47:37 UTC 2009
Bob Hoffman <bob at bobhoffman.com>

Starting to clean out my server.
I use command line only.

Even though I tried not to install the gnome and x, a lot of stuff did
install anyway.

In testing the removal process I find I cannot use yum remove due to losing
to many programs due to dependency.

Trying to remove via rpm -e is nigh impossible as it appears to be an
unknown chain of dependencies separate from the ones using yum that block
any way of deleting it.

I am thinking to do a rpm -e and then trying to take out all the dependent
ones..

However..I am not sure about taking out X since so many items were installed
with the system and maybe some are needed?

It is obvious that I need to do one or a few files at a time since I can
find no way to take out the whole xorg package as of yet.

My big fear....is X needed in some way by my server in ways I do not know? I
use it as a webserver and shell in with no graphic interface stuff except
those like system-level-security and such...

No many x installed items deal with lvm and such...scary