[CentOS] OT: dmidecode data - what is maximum RAM capacity of this box?

Wed Sep 30 21:02:33 UTC 2009
Lanny Marcus <lmmailinglists at gmail.com>

In Timo's thread about RAM  today, I noticed dmidecode and I got the
data for my Dell Dimension 2400 (Celeron CPU) box, which is below. I
won this box in a raffle, during February 2005. After I got the box, I
got conflicting information, from Crucial.com and from Dell Latin
America, regarding the maximum RAM configuration. To be conservative,
I bought two 256 MB DIMMS from Crucial.com, early in 2005. Running
dmidecode, I got the below information. Questions: (a) Is the maximum
capacity of this motherboard 1 GB instead of the 512 MB I thought it
was? (b) Is it possible the mainboard capacity is 1 GB, but that the
BIOS limits to 512 MB?  To add further confusion, I just searched for
this model on crucial.com and they are showing 2 GB total capacity.
However, they do not allow one to select between the Celeron CPU which
I have and a non Celeron CPU and they may have different capacity.
TIA!    Lanny

dmidecode for Dell Dimension 2400 Celeron box

Handle 0x1000, DMI type 16, 15 bytes.
Physical Memory Array
        Location: System Board Or Motherboard
        Use: System Memory
        Error Correction Type: None
        Maximum Capacity: 1 GB
        Error Information Handle: Not Provided
        Number Of Devices: 2

Handle 0x1100, DMI type 17, 23 bytes.
Memory Device
        Array Handle: 0x1000
        Error Information Handle: Not Provided
        Total Width: 64 bits
        Data Width: 64 bits
        Size: 256 MB
        Form Factor: DIMM
        Set: None
        Locator: DIMM_1
        Bank Locator: Not Specified
        Type: SDRAM
        Type Detail: Synchronous
        Speed: 266 MHz (3.8 ns)

Handle 0x1101, DMI type 17, 23 bytes.
Memory Device
        Array Handle: 0x1000
        Error Information Handle: Not Provided
        Total Width: 64 bits
        Data Width: 64 bits
        Size: 256 MB
        Form Factor: DIMM
        Set: None
        Locator: DIMM_2
        Bank Locator: Not Specified
        Type: SDRAM
        Type Detail: Synchronous
        Speed: 266 MHz (3.8 ns)

Handle 0x1301, DMI type 19, 15 bytes.
Memory Array Mapped Address
        Starting Address: 0x00000000000
        Ending Address: 0x0001FFFFFFF
        Range Size: 512 MB
        Physical Array Handle: 0x1000
        Partition Width: 0

Handle 0x1402, DMI type 20, 19 bytes.
Memory Device Mapped Address
        Starting Address: 0x00000000000
        Ending Address: 0x0000FFFFFFF
        Range Size: 256 MB
        Physical Device Handle: 0x1100
        Memory Array Mapped Address Handle: 0x1301
       Partition Row Position: 1

Handle 0x1403, DMI type 20, 19 bytes.
Memory Device Mapped Address
        Starting Address: 0x00010000000
        Ending Address: 0x0001FFFFFFF
        Range Size: 256 MB
        Physical Device Handle: 0x1101
        Memory Array Mapped Address Handle: 0x1301
        Partition Row Position: 1

from Crucial.com

 Q: How much memory can my computer handle?
from Crucial.com

A: 2048MB.