[CentOS] CentOS 5.3 - Activating laptop wireless card

Wed Sep 2 16:49:00 UTC 2009
Andrew Allen <andy.allen at virgin.net>

On Tue, 2009-09-01 at 20:06 +0100, Ned Slider wrote:
> Andrew Allen wrote:
> > I've just installed CentOS 5.3 on my Dell laptop and it seems to have
> > detected and set-up my wireless card (BCM 4311) correctly as eth1.
> > However, so far I haven't been able to activate it and have read the
> > wiki
> > http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Wireless#head-320d6fcf09b7e16e0b15d19ef76adcb023a95938
> > which indicates that this card isn't actually supported in CentOS - but
> > there has been an improvement over earlier kernels because the card
> > wasn't even detected in CentOS 5.0. So do I need to get the Windows
> > driver from http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php and do
> > I need ndiswrapper as well?
> >
> > Andy
> >

> That's not a Windows driver, it's a native Linux driver that you sould
> download and compile for your kernel. Being a native Linux driver, it
> doesn't require ndiswrapper. The ndiswrapper section is the next section
> on that Wiki page and is unrelated (is it confusing?).
>
> I believe this topic was also discussed recently on this mailing list (a
> few months back iirc).

Thanks,
You don't happen to know when that was do you? It would be great to
benefit from somebody else's experience, if they've managed to get this
card working in CentOS (5.3). Trouble is, the instructions in the
readme.txt on the Broadcom website obviously aren't CentOS specific. In
the past I've installed additional stuff (eg skype) from repos using
yum, which works brilliantly - I'm a bit wary of trying to install by
other means!

Andy