[CentOS] did CentOS x86 5.3 migrate to another hard drive, but console login keeps prompting even with correct password

Thu Sep 3 22:29:30 UTC 2009
choyaumeshu <choyaumeshu at gmail.com>

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 4:55 AM, Mogens Kjaer <mk at crc.dk> wrote:

> On 09/03/2009 09:00 AM, choyaumeshu wrote:
> >     tar --one-file-system -cf - . | tar -xpf - -C /mnt/bb
> > /bin/bash: Permission denied
>
> Looks like a SELinux problem. Try booting in rescue mode,
> mount root, and do a
>
> touch /mnt/sysimage/.autorelabel
>
> and a reboot.
>
> Mogens
> --
> Mogens Kjaer, Carlsberg A/S, Computer Department
> Gamle Carlsberg Vej 10, DK-2500 Valby, Denmark
> Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08
> Email: mk at crc.dk Homepage: http://www.crc.dk

Here's a update:
I. I did what Mogens suggested:
  a. reboot into rescue mode with livecd
  b. mount root partition
  c. run 'touch /mnt/sysimage/.autorelabel
  d. reboot
and I was able to login successfully - thank you all for your suggestions

II. However, for curiosity sake, I did the following:
  a. fresh install of CentOS x86 5.3 install w/
    /dev/hda1  swap
    /dev/hda2  /boot
    /dev/hda3  /home
    /dev/hda5  /
  this system booted up fine
  b. migrate the /dev/hda system to /dev/sda using the rescue livecd with
the following partition
    /dev/sda1  swap
    /dev/sda2  /
  c. edit grub, fstab, mtab, and run grub
  d. reboot the new system

  e. grub cannot find my kernel image
BUT
  f. the migration is successful if the partition of /dev/sda mirrors the
table setup for /dev/hda

I don't know why the partition setup has to mirror the original, but I
wanted to share this info with the community. I assume all this is SELinux
related.
Thanks again.