[CentOS] perplexing permissions issue

Fri Sep 4 15:14:23 UTC 2009
Alan Sparks <asparks at doublesparks.net>

Dave wrote:
> Hello,
> 	I have a perplexing permissions problem that i thought i had, but
> it's resurfaced.
> 	I'm running CentOS 5.3 and it runs an apache web server. The
> permissions on the web data directory in this case /var/www/secure/data are
> set to 4775 owner of apache group of webdev. All users that should be
> allowed to place content are in the webdev group. I was under the impression
> that any file then placed in that directory would have a owner of apache and
> a group of webdev permissions of 664. Whenever a locally logged on user adds
> content permissions are set to 664 but owner and group membership are that
> of the user who added the files not apache and webdev. The issue is further
> compounded when a user logs in via ftp and adds files or folders. They are
> owned by the ftp user and group.
> Any assistance appreciated.
> 	Thanks.
> 	Dave.

Am assuming these users are in the webdev group, but 'webdev' is not
their primary group.  Can you try using the set-gid bit on the affected
directory ( /var/www/secure/data/ ) to force the group ownership of
objects created there to have same group ID as the directory, viz:

chgrp webdev /var/www/secure/data/
chmod g+s /var/www/secure/data/

>From your text, it appear you have objects getting created with
appropriate group write permissions.