[CentOS] System Recovery

Fri Sep 4 17:54:36 UTC 2009
Robert <kerplop at sbcglobal.net>

Luciano Rocha wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 11:24:16AM -0500, Robert wrote:
>
>> I deleted one copy of the backup, as I've done in the past and made a
>> new crontab entry to try the backup again 2 or 3 minutes later. It was
>> still running several hours later, which couldn't possibly be right.
>> Next, I tried clearing the backup on the backup drive and manually
>> copying directories to it.  That didn't work too well, either.  At some
>> point, I tried to send an email using SeaMonkey and couldn't, because it
>> was unable "to write a temporary copy".  I quickly found that that
>> wasn't all it couldn't write, too.
>>
>> I tried restarting KDE, which got nowhere.  Almost everything  worked
>> O.K. from the command line, the most obvious exception being that I was
>> unable to read any man pages as a non-privileged user until after I had
>> accessed that man page as root.
>>

> All symptoms that you've run out of space. Your backup has probably gone
> to the root disk, not the backup one, and it ended backing up the backup
> of the backup of the ....
>
> Free some space and everything should work OK.

BINGO!

I feel especially bad because I have seen the "out of disk space"
problem before but not while trying to nudge a backup.
It's nice to sit in front of an old friend rather than this stranger but
serious use will come only after I liberate a lot more space.

Thanks for your help and the clue by lhecking!

Regards,
Robert