[CentOS] SQL Server 2005 and CentOS?

Tue Sep 8 17:57:53 UTC 2009
Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik at iki.fi>

On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 10:22:56AM -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
> Rob Kampen wrote:
> > One of my clients use a software product that is "upgrading" and will
> > shortly utilize micro$oft SQL server 2005.
> > Currently the clients are XP on older machines with the database
> > residing on a Samba / CentOS server and this works very well.
> > Question: Does anyone run SQL server from XP in a virtualbox on CentOS?
> > Any other configuration that works on a linux server?
> > I do not want to have to buy another server grade machine just for
> > this application.
>
> SQL Server only runs on Windows SERVER OS's.  on a desktop OS like XP,
> youc an only run the 'lite' version aka MSDE or SQL Express depending on
> which version, and this only allows a very few database connections, and
> is mostly suited for standalone single user applications and software
> development.
>
> SQL Server has fairly expensive licensing per user too.
>
> I would NOT virtualize a SQL database server, they have intensive disk
> IO I/O requirements.  also don't run a database on a network mounted
> file system (samba, NAS, etc) for the same reason.

I've been running various MSSQL databases on VMware VMs without problems..
of course you need to have fast enough disks (or a SAN).

Also I've been running Oracle, Mysql and PostgreSQL databases on
Xen virtual machines for years without problems.

It all depends on your CPU and/or IO requirements.. if you need all the
possible resources, then virtualization is not a good thing.

-- Pasi