[CentOS] Request advise regarding Driver for Intel Motherboard

Wed Sep 9 07:04:24 UTC 2009
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 11:37 PM, Sanjay Arora<sanjay.k.arora at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 3:15 AM, Ned Slider<ned at unixmail.co.uk> wrote:

>> There is also information at the top of this page (below) that explains
>> how to identify the correct driver for your hardware by querying the
>> vendor:device ID pairing and comparing to the list of supported devices
>> here:
>>
>> http://elrepo.org/tiki/DeviceIDs
>>
> Thanks
>
> lspci | grep -i "Ethernet" shows RTL8111/8168B PCI Adapter
>
> Intel site on the other hand linked to 8169 driver, which in this case
> is obviously wrong.

Please read the instructions on the DeviceIDs page once again.  You
ran only the first command.  You now need to look at the output and
run the second command "lspci -n | grep <something>". The <something>
part is the first item of the output from the first command.  The
output of the second command gives you the vendor:device ID pairing.

Now look for this pairing within that page and identify the driver you
should use.  If you find it in the "r8168.ko" section, then what you
will need is the kmod-r8168 package.  If you find it in the "r8169.ko"
section, you will want the kmod-r8169 package.

If you have already installed kmod-r8169 and if you want to uninstall
it, then run:

rpm -e kmod-r8169

That will cleanly uninstall the kernel r8169 module.

So, first, let us know the output from the second command above so
that we can tell which kernel module package your NIC requires.
Please show the entire output without truncating it.

Akemi