[CentOS] help with bonobo

Wed Sep 9 19:30:41 UTC 2009
Nicolas Thierry-Mieg <Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at imag.fr>

Jerry Geis wrote:
>> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/YumAndRPM
>>
>> Do step 1 (or drop it into /etc/rpm/macros.local so it applies to all users)
>>
>> then remove the i386 versions of those packages (they should now be
>> visible as libbonoboui-2.16.0-1.fc6.i386 etc).
>>

> Jim,
>
> I removed the (2) packages that were i386.
> I rebooted the box and the same message pops up.
> I logged back in and did:
>
>  rpm -qa | grep bonobo
> libbonobo-2.16.0-1.fc6.x86_64
> libbonoboui-2.16.0-1.fc6.x86_64
> gnome-python2-bonobo-2.16.0-1.fc6.x86_64
>

> So now only the 64bit packages are present. (note: I did rpm -e --nodeps
> package to remove the 32 bit ones)

bad idea (nodeps)...
you should probably reinstall them and then either leave them, or remove
whatever depends on them. Otherwise chances are whatever depends on them
will be broken on your system.
It's not related to your current problem, but maybe to one of your next
posts to the list ;-)

> I then did:
>  bonobo-slay
>
> Can not open directory /usr/lib/bonobo/servers
>         No such file or directory
>
> Does it still think its 32 bit based on the directory given?
> What might the next step be?

/usr/bin/bonobo-slay is a perl script, clearly buggy wrt 64-bit (that
path is hard-coded).
I have no idea what it does, bonobo is a monkey to me, but you could try
fixing that script. You might also consider filing a bug somewhere.
Whether fixing the script would solve your problem is another
question... But it may be worth a try.