[CentOS] What repo did this rpm come from? rpm-VVa failures on new install

Thu Sep 10 00:02:43 UTC 2009
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> On Wed, 2009-09-09 at 12:50 -1000, Dave wrote:
> > >
> > > yum list <packagename>
> > >
> > > That will tell you all the places that package can come from.
> >
> > yum list denyhosts
> > Loaded plugins: dellsysidplugin2, fastestmirror, priorities, security
> > 2 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
> > Installed Packages
> > denyhosts.noarch                       2.6-5.el5                       installed
> >
> > Which is the repo, he asks innocently. Or will that work only for
> > uninstalled packages?
> >

> > > You will have to grep for the specific package number or look at the list.
> > > Once a package in ON YOUR MACHINE, it is also in the installed repo ...
> >
> > Or only in the installed?
> >
> > > but you can also install packages by hand from NO repos.
> > >
> > > If you use the command:
> > >
> > > rpm -qi <packagename>
> > >
> > > That will tell you if it is a CentOS package ... and you can see if it
> > > signed by a CentOS key.
> >
> >  rpm -qi denyhosts
> > Name        : denyhosts                    Relocations: (not relocatable)
> > Version     : 2.6                               Vendor: Fedora Project
> > Release     : 5.el5                         Build Date: Tue 19 Jun
> > 2007 02:31:00 PM HST
> > Install Date: Wed 10 Jun 2009 07:41:18 AM HST      Build Host:
> > xenbuilder2.fedora.redhat.com
> > Group       : Applications/System           Source RPM:
> > denyhosts-2.6-5.el5.src.rpm
> > Size        : 337435                           License: GPL
> > Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Tue 19 Jun 2007 06:51:35 PM HST, Key ID 119cc036217521f6
> > Packager    : Fedora Project <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
> > URL         : http://denyhosts.sourceforge.net/
> > Summary     : A script to help thwart ssh server attacks
> > Description :
> > DenyHosts is a Python script that analyzes the sshd server log
> > messages to determine which hosts are attempting to hack into your
> > system. It also determines what user accounts are being targeted. It
> > keeps track of the frequency of attempts from each host and, upon
> > discovering a repeated attack host, updates the /etc/hosts.deny file
> > to prevent future break-in attempts from that host.  Email reports can
> > be sent to a system admin.
> >
> > Hmmm.... still not seeing a repo. No doubt I could find some version
> > of an rpm at http://denyhosts.sourceforge.net/, but can I be sure it
> > is identical to the one on the centos repos?
> >

> > On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 3:19 AM, Robert Heller<heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:
> > > rpm -qi <package name>
> > >
> > > man rpm
> > > RTFM
> >
> > See above, no repo info found in rpm -qi output.
> ----
> no repo but
>
> Vendor: Fedora Project

If (Vendor == Fedora Project) then repo is epel
if (Vendor == Centos) then repo is Centos
if (Vendor == Dag Apt Repository) repo is rpmforge

At least this seems to be the case for a small random sampling I did on
my system (I 'cheated' -- I have a pile of RPMs sitting in their proper
places under /var/cache/yum/...).

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933