[CentOS] trouble playing quicktimes at apple.com/trailers

Fri Sep 11 00:50:27 UTC 2009
fred smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 05:43:21PM -0700, nate wrote:
> fred smith wrote:
>
> > Doggone those Apple folks. why would they be so stingy as to PREVENT people
> > from using otherwise-compatible players from seeing the trailer? Just
> > doesn't make sense in any way other than sheer meanness. I mean, what real
> > business justification could there be?
>
> They don't have the opportunity to up sell you to Quicktime pro?
> Perhaps they have changed it but I recall last time I used
> Apple Quicktime(I admit it's been years), it would pester you
> almost all the time to upgrade.

Perhaps that's what they're thinking. but if so, they're wrong. Until
such time as they offer a native Linux quicktime client I ain't gonna
ever use it. they can whine all they want about us open source scumbags
trying to freeload, but I'll give up being able to see their trailers
before I'll switch to one of their currently-supported operating systems.
I'd venture that most of us Linux users feel the same way. So, they're
not gaining anything other than ill will by blocking us from viewing.

but hey, some bright person in the community will almost always figure
out how to get around such artificial limitations. My thanks to those
who figured out this one!

                    The Lord detests the way of the wicked