[CentOS] trouble playing quicktimes at apple.com/trailers

Sun Sep 13 17:27:14 UTC 2009
Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>

On Sun, 2009-09-13 at 02:30 +0200, Rainer Duffner wrote:
> On 12.09.2009 at 23:49 Ron Blizzard wrote :
>
> > On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 7:38 PM, fred smith
> > <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:
> >
> >> Doggone those Apple folks. why would they be so stingy as to
> >> PREVENT people
> >> from using otherwise-compatible players from seeing the trailer? Just
> >> doesn't make sense in any way other than sheer meanness. I mean,
> >> what real
> >> business justification could there be?
> >
> > Apple is weird that way. They tried to do the same thing with the Palm
> > Pre -- keep them from working with iTunes seemlessly.
>

> Well, I assume they did this because Palm is making money from the
> Pre, but they probably "forgot" to license iTunes for the use of
> syncing with the Pre.
>
> I can't blame Apple for being "unhappy" with that.
> In addition, if they would let Palm get through with that, other
> companies would soon follow. Maybe at some point, Apple will choose to
> actually allow that (maybe via some API), but currently this is not
> the case.
>
> I should say that I do own an iPhone, together with most other people
> at my workplace (few exceptions, like the boss - but his wife has one)
> and it does most of the stuff I would have wanted from a Linux-powered
> phone.
> Unfortunately, that one never materialized.
----
none of this discussion has anything to do with CentOS but...

Apple is clearly trying to create the illusion of being compatible with
other architecture with features such as being a daap server and many
other devices such as sling or sonus can interface with the music on
iTunes so it only stands to reason that Palm should likewise be able to
interface with iTunes.

The issue is that Apple wants to leverage their iTunes/iPod products to
induce a sale of their iPhone by preventing other telephone hardware
from using their iTunes repository. It is this kind of mentality that
makes me think that Apple is every bit as evil as Microsoft. They are
deliberately trying to deny you access to your own music if you use a
telephone other than Apple's iPhone.

I am wondering if by buying an iPod and committing my music repository
to m4a that I haven't made a serious mistake when I see behavior like
this from Apple.

Craig

believed to be clean.