[CentOS] "Point Releases" Question

Mon Sep 14 15:08:44 UTC 2009
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Let say 5.4 goes out today;  If I fully update (today) my 5.2 system...will it
> be equivalent to 5.4 (all RPM packages with same version/release number?)?
>
> Or is it possible for the new point release to include NEW packages that
> weren't on the base relase (in this case CentOS 5)?

In general, you'll get the current version of the same packages you have
installed.  However, it is possible for some packages to be reorganized,
have new dependencies, or for some new package to obsolete and replace
an older one so you end up with the same functionality as before even if
you have some different package names.

If you run "yum update" interactively it will show you what it plans to
do and wait for confirmation.  You can answer no if you don't like it.
But read the release notes first in case there are special requirements
like there were for 5.3 (update glibc\* first).

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com