[CentOS] LF examples - using site-specific RPMs for config

Mon Sep 14 17:16:42 UTC 2009
Jonathan Moore <supermegatron at gmail.com>

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> On 09/14/2009 05:35 PM, Alan McKay wrote:
>> A week or two ago someone mentioned something about using their own
>> home-grown RPMs for managing config info on their boxes.
>
> this is a really really bad idea. I'd suggest you dont waste your time
> around this and instead work with projects like chef / puppet / bcfg2
> and look at those to manage what they do - config and state.

I second that.  All the listed options are great.  If you want to
manage configurations
on a server, use something designed for configuration management.  Using RPM
to manage configs will probably leave you with halfway broken machines and
no clue about what we wrong.

-jonathan