[CentOS] Wireless Printing

Tue Sep 15 23:34:19 UTC 2009
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> My home network doesn't have any wireless access points (to slow) and
> I was iSCSI booting my wkst for a while:) Now I need to setup a printer
> so I was going to get an HP Photosmart C4580.
>
> The HPLIP page shows no network support:( I _was_ going to use a USB
> wireless nic I have and setup an ad-hoc to print to this thing.
>
> Anyone know anything that might make this work?

get an ethernet printer, sheesh.

I have a Brother MFC7345N (Costco version of the 7340 with an ethernet
interface) on my home LAN, is a B&W Laser, color scanner, copier, fax,
both flatbed and sheet feed scanning/faxing/copying.  does copy and fax
without any host software involvement (too many cheap all-in-ones rely
on a software utilities to do the copy/fax functionality).  has 100baseT
ethernet.  Supports LPR/LPD protocols so Linux should be able to print
to it just fine.  Says the scanner supports Linux SANE protocol (I know
nothing about this, never tried that part).   We originally bought this
$200 printer strictly to use as a fax machine, and after setting it up
and playing with it, shut off our HP LJ1300 printer and use it for all
our home printing.

I would not use a inkjet as a primary home printer, the supplies are too
costly, and if they are used sporadically, you waste 2/3rds of the ink
unclogging them.  also inkjets require extra smooth extra heavy paper or
they look like crap, while a laser can print on any old cheap copier
paper.  I have a techwriter wife and two school kids, so we do a LOT of
printing at my place.