[CentOS] Wireless Printing

Wed Sep 16 00:20:00 UTC 2009
Bill Campbell <centos at celestial.com>

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009, John R Pierce wrote:
>Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>> My home network doesn't have any wireless access points (to slow) and
>> I was iSCSI booting my wkst for a while:) Now I need to setup a printer
>> so I was going to get an HP Photosmart C4580.
>>
>> The HPLIP page shows no network support:( I _was_ going to use a USB
>> wireless nic I have and setup an ad-hoc to print to this thing.
>>
>> Anyone know anything that might make this work?
>
>get an ethernet printer, sheesh.

>I would not use a inkjet as a primary home printer, the supplies are too
>costly, and if they are used sporadically, you waste 2/3rds of the ink
>unclogging them.  also inkjets require extra smooth extra heavy paper or
>they look like crap, while a laser can print on any old cheap copier
>paper.  I have a techwriter wife and two school kids, so we do a LOT of
>printing at my place.

One good thing about the HP splatjets is that they are designed so they
don't clog after long periods of inactivity.  I have an HP Photosmart 7350
that only is used when I want to print color.  My only real complaint with
this printer is that HP no longer provides software for in for OS X Leopard
or Snow Leopard, and the generic gutenprint stuff doesn't do nearly as well
with different paper types and such that the HP software does.

We use an HP 4M Plus with duplex for pretty much everything else.  This was
bought new in November 1995, and has been a true work horse.  I spent about
$200 last year to get it serviced, replacing all the rollers and such
figuring that we couldn't get a better printer for the money.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186  Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

I would be blind to the responsibilities that mark this fateful hour if
I did not caution the wage-earners of America that mounting wages and
decreased production can lead only to industrial and economic ruin.
  -- Warren Harding