[CentOS] [Found] CentOS is dead, long live CentOS

Wed Sep 16 15:38:32 UTC 2009
Benjamin Franz <jfranz at freerun.com>

R P Herrold wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Sep 2009, William Warren wrote:
>

>> right now they don't HAVE to disclose as they do not have
>> any kind of US based npo that would force them to do so.
>> We can inquire all we want to but they don't have to answer
>> anything.
>>

> 'they' who run a non profit under US law of which I am aware
> have no general obligation to give the time of day to anyoue
> -- Feel free to ask at the local Elk's lodge about their back
> room poker party profits, and I am pretty sure you'll get a
> tossed out on your ear

[...]

This isn't about law anyway: It's about trust.

For CentOS to continue to be a success, trust has to be maintained.
Without trust, resources and community will disappear.

I like CentOS. It meets my needs just about perfectly with its balance
of stability and features (not to mention price ;) ). Don't take this as
criticism of what has been a hugely successful enterprise. There are
many people like myself who will be willing to donate more
time/money/equipment/resources once a better level of transparency has
been achieved. I am confident that it will be. The CentOS team seems to
be working hard on it and I expect that it will just be a matter of
time. I trust them, and I am grateful to them for the work they have
done and continue to do.

But, it is unhelpful when egos get in the way of communication.  Lashing
out at people who want to know what steps towards transparency are being
taken just alienates the community. The FOSS community is well known for
its tendency to eat its young. Try not to give in to the impulse, no
matter how irritating, or even ungrateful, the questions can seem.

;)

--
Benjamin Franz