[CentOS] Where to download rpm packages for centos?

Thu Sep 17 03:33:12 UTC 2009
Peng Yu <pengyu.ut at gmail.com>

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 10:26 PM, Alan Sparks <asparks at doublesparks.net> wrote:
> Peng Yu wrote:
>> If you could help me on finding packages for downloading and
>> installing them in my home directory, that would be very helpful.
>>
>> I also find the following link on how to run rpm in my home directory.
>> Does it work for my problem?
>>
>> http://www.techonthenet.com/linux/build_rpm.php
>>

> Well, that's for building them, not installing them.  Probably not much
> help for you, as far as updating the system, although if you were to
> hack the spec files, you could make RPMs that would install locally.
>
> In some cases, you can download RPMs from CentOS or RHEL compatible
> archives (like from the mirrors listed on centos.org, or from EPEL
> (google that), and try the --relocate option on the RPM install.  Note,
> however, that not all RPMs will relocate well.
>
> I assume you're just trying to get newer versions of some applications
> you use.  Obviously, you can't update the versions of libraries and
> system executables without root access, so nothing good can be done with
> respect to securing the system or generally improving life without doing
> it "right."
>
> In your case, probably the better way to work around your bad situation
> is forget RPM entirely, and download tarballs for whatever you really
> need to install locally.  Learn how to do the configure/make/make
> install dance, and set the --prefix= option on the configure to your
> home directory.
> -Alan

I have been trying this way. But there are some source packages that I
can't find. For example, I am looking for imlib-config. Do you know
where I can download its source package.

Regards,
Peng