[CentOS] Dependency problem between cman and openais with last cman update

Thu Sep 17 07:37:47 UTC 2009
Alain RICHARD <alain.richard at equation.fr>

Le 16 sept. 2009 à 22:51, Karanbir Singh a écrit :

> On 09/16/2009 03:33 PM, Miguel Sanchez wrote:
>> Hi. Today I have updated my cluster installation with the version
>> cman-2.0.115-1 through yum update. When I have started the cman
>> service
>> , it fails.
>
> I've added this issue :
> http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=3842
>
> And published openais packages that should address the issue, could
> someone with the issue test those and let us know asap.
>
> Reporting back on the issue tracker > reporting back on the mailing
> list
>
> thanks
>
> --
> Karanbir Singh : http://www.karan.org/  : 2522219 at icq

Sorry, but I wont test that : all my cman servers are part of clusters
in production and I will not do any test with part of packages being
5.3 based and other 5.4 based because it means I am doing the QA stuff
under in product environments.

We are using Centos because it is synchronised with the QA process of
the upstream enterprise.

With your new policie, we now have several cases :

A) Release x.y that is sync with upstream

we only drawback for me is that there is 1-3 days of delay between the
release of a patch from upstream and the integration into centos. But
for most of us this is OK. If not, we can always buy the original
product from upstream.

B) Release x.(y+1) from upstream, not yet validated under centos

When upstream create a dot subversion, there is always a long time
(10-90 days) in order for the centos project to recompile and
revalidate all the packages and process. This is a well known issue of
this process and I hope we can stay under 30 days if possible in order
to keep the credibility of the project, and it seams there are some
improvements under way to keep this goal.

In that case, there is a gap of 10 to 90 days under which several
security patches may be issued but not installed under our Centos
servers. Once more, if we want the real upstream support, we have to
buy it from upstream and not complain from centos.

Once centos issue the new x.(y+1) version, we are back in case A).

C) The new policy of centos x.y + security patches of upstream x.(y+1)

In that case, we are in a situation where the system is not a x.y
version and not a x.(y+1) version.

At least we may get dependencies issues (for example cman/openais
case), but also stability issues (for example new kernel with older
user land tools).

We get a system that is not in sync with upstream QA (the main reason
people choose Centos is to be in sync with upstream QA without paying
for it !).

I understand that issuing the patches of upstream x.(y+1) to be
installed under centos x.y is an attempts to close the gap of case B).

But the problem is that the way you have done it will move all people
from a well known state (A) to an unkown state (C) without warning.

I think a better approach would have been to propose theses new
security patch under an optional repository and not the update one.

And don't misunderstand : I am very pleased with centos, and I just
add my 2 cents in order to improve it !

Regards,

--
Alain RICHARD <mailto:alain.richard at equation.fr>