[CentOS] gdm-simple-greeter config?

Fri Sep 18 17:10:04 UTC 2009

> Hi,

>> However, I don't see the message from any other server (and we have a
>> good number), so I don't understand why it wouldn't show up from another
>> 10-30 machines.
>
> Well, did you at least *look* in his home directory? If you look and
> it's not there, it's probably something else, but I don't think you
> should discard that before actually looking at it.

I really don't see that I need to: his home directory's on another system,
and I don't see it happening from logs from any other system running gnome
when he logs on, and he tells me he doesn't know anything about it,
either, and since he's been a sysadmin here for years, and knows the
systems, I believe him.

It has to be stored somewhere on this one server. Can you suggest any
reason that you think it's not?

*IF* I understand this correctly, the "simple greeter" shows up when you
wake up the screensaver, and displays the names of those recently logged
in, and it *seems* as though it can also display pictures. Given the
location and filename, I was assuming that it gets them that way. which
would imply that it might work *if* the home directory was always mounted,
not automounted on logon.

With those assumptions, my guess was that there's a configuration that
tells it to look in a user's home directory for such a file.

         mark