[CentOS] Apache: confusion about virtual hosts and DNS on a local network

Sat Sep 19 15:28:12 UTC 2009
nate <centos at linuxpowered.net>

Niki Kovacs wrote:

> Only the shorter form doesn't work, which means
> http://microlinux.buildbox and http://kikinovak.buildbox both result in
> viewing site 1. Which lets me carefully deduce that virtual hosts need
> to be called by their fully qualified domain name.

Yeah that sounds good, myself I've made it a habbit a long time
ago to always call sites with their FQDN, if your just sending
the short name then your browser is just using that name in
the Host: header. You could try adding a virtual host or changing
your config so that it includes the short name as well, apache
just looks for what is in the Host: header

nate