[CentOS] sshd options - centos 5.3

Tue Sep 22 20:10:22 UTC 2009
Filipe Brandenburger <filbranden at gmail.com>

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 14:01, Karl Kobata <Karl.Kobata at syncira.com> wrote:
> - PasswordAuthentication no – if I set this option to “no” (default is
> “yes”), and my ssh key is either missing or in error, I will be prompted for
> user system login password.  If this is set to “no”, it should not allow me
> to login if I have not ssh key specified or in error.  Has anyone else run
> into this problem.

This is related to PAM authentication, which is what is used in (most)
Linux systems. To prevent sshd from authenticating with passwords I
believe you have to set "ChallengeResponseAuthentication no" instead,
at least that is what I gather from reading the comments in
/etc/ssh/sshd_config.

HTH,
Filipe