[CentOS] about ntpq result..

Wed Sep 23 14:40:15 UTC 2009
Filipe Brandenburger <filbranden at gmail.com>

Hi,

2009/9/22 MontyRee <chulmin2 at hotmail.com>:
> I set 'server' directive like below at ntp.conf
>
> server 0.centos.pool.ntp.org
>
> if 0.centos.pool.ntp.org has multiple ip address 10.10.23.44 and 10.10.23.45,
> and after some time 10.10.23.44 goes down, courrent configuration(10.10.23.44)
> will be changed to 10.10.23.45 automatically or not without restarting ntpd?

I don't think it does, that's why I think you should use multiple
server directives with 0, 1, 2, ... names on them in case one of them
fails.

Although not stating this directly, this page seems to confirm that
when it says "It can rarely happen that you are assigned the same
timeserver twice - just restarting the ntp server usually solves this
problem."
http://www.pool.ntp.org/use.html

You might find these pages interesting:
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/manyopt.html
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/assoc.html

In particular, it seems that using the "pool" configuration option of
NTP might do a smarter job. I never used it though, so I couldn't
say...

HTH,
Filipe