[CentOS] CentOS for non-tech user

Sat Sep 26 17:50:56 UTC 2009
Niki Kovacs <contact at kikinovak.net>

Les Mikesell a écrit :

> Can the install script be simplified to rpm installs of the http urls to the yum
> repo release files followed by yum installs of a list of packages?  And if so,
> can someone publish that script?

Not really. Before discovering CentOS (around 2006), I've been a
die-hard Slackware user, so my two install CDs are a bit like a set of
two Slackware CDs. Which means, a loose set of directories with stuff in
them, plus scripts to install them. For example, directories like x11/,
nvidia/, ati/ and compiz/, with stuff in them, which I install only if
needed. As for the configuration, I do everything (X11, network, ...) by
hand, using Vi.

Here's an example. I have a directory java/, with the latest java from
sun.com, plus the following script:

#!/bin/bash
#
CWD=`pwd`
cp jre-6u14-linux-i586.bin /opt
chmod +c /opt/jre-6u14-linux-i586.bin
{
   cd /opt
   rm -rf jre1.6.0_14
   rm -f /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
   sh jre-6u14-linux-i586.bin
   rm -f jre-6u14-linux-i586.bin
}
ln -s /opt/jre1.6.0_14/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so \
   /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
cat > /etc/profile.d/java.sh << EOF
export J2RE_HOME=/opt/jre1.6.0_14
export PATH=$J2RE_HOME/bin:$PATH
EOF
chmod +x /etc/profile.d/java.sh
source /etc/profile.d/java.sh
alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /opt/jre1.6.0_14/bin/java 2
alternatives --config java

Or, other example, the w32codecs/ directory with the following script:

#!/bin/bash
#
# codecs-install.sh

CWD=`pwd`

rm -rf /usr/lib/codecs
rm -rf /usr/lib/win32

tar xjf $CWD/all-20071007.tar.bz2 -C /usr/lib
{
   cd /usr/lib
   mv all-20071007 codecs
   ln -s codecs win32
}

This logic applies pretty much to everything. But it's not really an
installer.

Of course, it *could* be possible to publish some more user-friendly set
of install CDs, but this would be a hell of a lot of work, and you'd end
up with something like Yellowdog Linux (which is based on CentOS).

Cheers,

Niki