[CentOS] CentOS for non-tech user

Mon Sep 28 10:02:20 UTC 2009
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 09/27/2009 08:09 AM, Robert Heller wrote:

>> m.roth at 5-cent.us a écrit :
>>
>>> I'd add in the search RHEL<your release>, at least to start. Beyond that,
>>> some other distro, such as mandrake, may have compatible rpms.
>>
>> No! Never use Mandrake RPMS on RHEL.
>
> Never say never:
>
> I have *successfully* used RPMS from both Mandrake and SUSE on a CentOS
> 4.x system.  Both RPMs are somewhat specialized developemental ones
> though.

Sure, it is possible, if you get very lucky, to do so.  However, even if
packages install because a dependent library is available (take
/lib/libc.so.6 for example) it does not mean that they are similar
enough to work.

RHEL/CentOS glibc has dozens of patches that are different than Mandriva
or SUSE.  They also put things in and look for things from different
places than CentOS.

So, one should think long and hard before (at the very least) before
installing programs not built for/using CentOS/RHEL on CentOS.